Safe steps when leaving campus
The Safe Steps campaign aims to make you aware of the potential dangers of walking alone when leaving the campus and encourages you to take actions to ensure you travel safely to your car, bus, train or taxi.
Follow these Safe Steps at all times
- Follow the most open and well-lit public path.
- Whenever possible, walk with a friend or in a group or contact Security to arrange an escort if you are walking alone after dusk.
- If alone, stay alert and be aware of your surroundings - confidence deters attackers.
- Carry a personal alarm or whistle and be prepared to call for help.
- Avoid undergrowth and be wary of strangers.
- Move your car closer to buildings during the day if you are planning on staying on campus after dark.